Friday, March 11, 2011

Consistency Needed

Much like the New York Rangers, I lack consistency. I am a good writer, much like the Rangers are a good team. But I could be so much better, if I would write more, stick with one website, and maintain a sense of consistency.

That is why, after 2 years (and writing for various websites), I am returning to my roots for the third time, which will hopefully be a charm for the The Gr8 Blue Blog. I opened this site a few years ago, with the hopes of getting my name out there, establishing a following, and taking that 1st step towards my writing career. However, a lot of variables led to me not sticking with it. Time was the biggest reason, also lack of a laptop to write whenever and wherever I wanted was another. Plus, I had just started a new job, was going through some life changes, and a lack of response to the blog discouraged me. I know, I know...any other excuse I can think of?? Anyway, so here we are 2 years later, I have the laptop, I have the time, the job is going well, and all the life changes are behind me. Plus, I am no longer writing in hopes of making my writing career take off. Now, I'm writing just to have some fun. So, no more excuses...let's just see where all of this takes us!

Ok...now that the long, drawn out re-re-RE-introduction is out of the way...let's talk some hockey!!

The Rangers...ahh yes, the Rangers...my passion, my drug, my poison...the team that will probably put me in the grave way before it's my time to go, return to the ice tonight, for a 10:30 pm (yeah, you heard that right..the night before we lose an hour of sleep, due to Daylight Savings..nice job schedule gods!) tilt, against the San Jose Sharks. The Boys in Blue are coming off a 5-2 loss to the Anaheim Ducks on Wednesday night, and after an eye opening first half, in which they established themselves as a lunch pail, win at all costs group of overachievers, have hit hard times. They are hoping to get back on the winning track tonight.

Since they beat the Vancouver Canucks (who had the best record in the NHL at the time) back on January 13th, the Blueshirts are 9-14 over that span, have dropped from 6th to 8th in the Eastern Conference, and right now, are holding on to the final playoff spot by the skin of their teeth. With just 13 games remaining in the regular season, what was once a secure playoff birth, is now anything but.

I'm not gonna bore you all with stats, or keys to the game on this first blog. Not today. The bottom line is the Rangers needs wins. They need points. And they need to find consistency if they are going to avoid missing the postseason, for the second consecutive season. And it's not just one team they have to hold off, it's about 5, as they are now tied in points with Buffalo, with Carolina, Toronto, Atlanta, and the Devils (yes, those same Devils that were 27 points out in the beginning of January) all breathing down their necks. The sense of urgency could not be any higher, and the need for consistency, could not be any greater. The Rangers need to take the first step towards all of that, tonight at 10:30.

While most people will be rushing to get to bed tonight, for fear of not getting enough sleep, due to the clocks being turned ahead an hour, I, like most other Blueshirt fans, will attempt to conquer Mr. Sandman. Most hockey games take about 2 1/2 hours to complete, making the end time on a normal night for this game, around 1 am in the morning. Because the NHL decided to schedule this game tonight, this game will end around 2 am. I didn't last past the 1st period the other night against the Ducks, so who knows if I will make it tonight. All I know, is if I go to sleep with another loss, or wake up tomorrow and find out they lost, I will be a very miserable person. Do me, and my wife, a favor Rangers, please WIN.

Consistency. Something the Rangers lack in their game. Something I lack with my writing. I am attempting to establish mine starting with this blog, on this website, TODAY. Let's see if the Boys in Blue can do the same on the ice tonight, with the Sharks.

For those of you who are familiar with this site, I welcome your feed back. For those of you who are not, I welcome yours as well. My only request is that you please leave it in the comment section of this blog, not on facebook, and not on twitter. Look for announcements on when the blog is updated via twitter, and facebook. The next installment will include keys to the game, match-ups, links, probably me ranting and raving about something...all that fun stuff. But I just wanted to write today, get back in the swing of things with this blog, and share my feelings on the game tonight. And my feelings are, they better freaking win!!

Puck drops at 10:30 pm tonight, enjoy the game, and as always...LET'S GO RANGERS!!!

Follow me on twitter at:
http://twitter.com/#!/TheGr8Tony

Follow me on Facebook at:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Tony-Grater/1485975918

No comments: